Monday 31 October 2011

Roll Across the Skies

These are installation photos from my project Following the North Star which was part of the group show Roll Across the Skies at Ed Video Media Arts Centre. The show also included Moontracker by Sam Ack and Ashley Schirripa, and ran from October 10 - 26.



This series of traces are 11"x14" chromogenic prints on dibond.





























Footprint, 30"x40", chromogenic print mounted on dibond.


Skyline, 30"x40" chromogenic print mounted on dibond.






"For Following the North Star I embarked on several long, late night walks ranging from 4 to 8 hours following the North Star. When viewing conditions were limited, I used other more primitive navigational strategies - orienting myself from the direction of a hazy overcast sunset, finding moss on the north facing side of objects - to guide me on the path that this photographic project documents. During these walks I would truthfully follow a northern route by going through backyards, hopping the occasional fence, and discovering bridges to cross rivers. Included in this show is another photographic series of star traces, a performative attempt to preserve a brief moment in time with the historically and religiously charged celestial body. In these photographs- taken in increments of 35 paces- I shared a single breath with the North Star.

In brief, my dedicated movement and performative gestures counter-act the rigid urban logic of the city allowing for refreshing perspectives to cultivate. The possibilities opened by my psychogeographical journeys are of a spiritual discovery, an escape from the rules and regulations of places and objects, and a way to connect with an environment I often feel alienated from. Equally comforting and uprooting, the night sky dissolves into a dialect that directly engages the soul."

No comments:

Post a Comment